Monday, January 7, 2008

I'm Fat

Well, in addition to being my brothers 38th birthday, today is the official end of the Holiday Season, beginning of another federal leave year, and the first day I am back on Weight Watchers! It is also the first day that Jeff and Tom are on WeightWatchers, because Jeff likes to join me and Tom eats less when there is no food in the house. I'm not sure how the girls will eat, maybe Susie will take pity on them.

A couple of years ago I had a lot of success on the WeightWatchers plan, and I really need it now. Of the 32 pounds that I originally lost, I have gained all but eight back! That is not only unhealthy, it shows a real character flaw on my behalf and is something that I plan to remedy, NOW!

Weight Watchers was kind enough to send me a $10 off coupon to rejoin, but I am going to see if I can spend all of my time on the Internet trying to figure out how to build a nice library of tools so that I can save $55. THEN, I will become frustrated and give Weight Watchers the money .............. I like to do things the long and hard way.

So first things first, weightwatchers needed to register their Patent (number 6,040,531) with my neighbor the PTO. Digging through the text and image pages you will find the formula:
P = (C/50) + (F/12) - (R/5)
P=points, C=calories, F=fat grams, R=fiber grams (cap the fiber at no more than 4 grams)

It's easy to estimate point values in your head by reading the nutrition labels on any food product. Divide the number of calories by 50 (round to nearest 1/2 point), add 1/2 point for 6 fat grams and deduct 1/2 point for 3 fiber grams. The result is the number of points (round to the next number if .5 or greater).

Included in the PTO paperwork is the points spread:

Under 150 lbs, 20 (at this time, I do not qualify)
150-174, 22
175-199, 24
200-224, 26
225-249, 28
250-274, 30
275-299, 31
plus you can eat as much as 35 more Flex-Points per week.

So, I get 22 points a day, with an additional 35 points per week for beer/wine. I also get additional points for exercise, but until I get exercise, I am not going to worry about it.

I think that both Tom and Jeff are starting our with 26 points per day, but I will let them tell you that. As of this writing, I have consumed 6 of my 22 daily points. I will keep you posted!

D

No comments: