Monday, July 2, 2007

Mamablogga's June Writing Project

I have been following the mamablogga group writing project for a while. I have been thinking of attempting one of their essays, and today I finally decided to give it is shot. And, just like in High School, and in life, I missed the (1 July) deadline! Fortunately, Mamablogga gave extension, and as long as I recognised that I was not eligible for the prize, I can still play! Since I never win anything, I agree to the conditions.

The June theme for the Group Writing Project is “Three things I want my kids to . . .”. We are supposed to add the verb, and any conditions that we like. I am already confused ...........................

Ok, here goes:

Three things I want my kids to do ................. but will never say to them .......or out loud ..................

1) Be irresponsible between the ages of 22 and 27 - There is no reason not to test the waters, follow "The Dead" (or whatever the 2025 equivalent of that is), loose yourself in Europe, or try your luck as a starving artist in New York when you are young. That is what those years are about. I want my girls to have those experiences, I want them to be the kind of people that are shaped through those experiences. I don't want them to settle into a boring job, with boring people, because they "need the health insurance". Life is too short. You only have those years to test life. Enjoy them and learn from them

2) Politely and articulately question/challenge teachers, professors, and other authority figures - It took me until I was 30 before I realized that people in power, are not necessarily bright, intelligent, or "right", they are lucky. I want my girls to challenge things that they don't agree with, argue for what they believe in, and ask questions when they don't fully understand the position of a tired teacher or arrogant politician. I will gladly visit the principle (or the court house) and stand behind my girls for taking a position they believe in and holding the line. They will learn to respect themselves for it, and others will as well.

3) Don't make decisions based on what they think that Tom and I WANT them to do - Tom and I don't know everything. In fact, we know very little. We always do what we think is best, and we advise the girls like we think we should, but right now they are 2 and 4, and I can already think of at least 12 things I did wrong last month. Only they will know what is right for them, and if we give them a decent foundation, they will be capable of making themselves happy. And growing to become happy adults, is all a mom can ask for their children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great list! Thanks for participating!

I'll probably post all the "late" entries at the end of the week.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful list! It was worth waiting for.

Anonymous said...

Very nice!