Sunday, December 17, 2006

The first post is the hardest ................................

They say that the first post of the hardest and considering the amount of times that I have deleted and re-started this post, I would have to say that is the case.

I am not really certain why I have decided to begin this blog. I am not a "great thinker" of the 21st century, nor am I interested in writing a year long "Christmas Letter" in which I bore nameless / faceless readers with the mundane details of my day. I guess that I am writing this at the urging of my friends, who are tired of hearing me TALK about what I have recently read, bought, thought and heard. Afterall, this is the age of technology. I can put the information out there for their convenience. They are, of course, right.

I am a working Mom and Wife, with two amazing and exceptional daughters who deserve to have amazing and exceptional lives. My challenge is safely raising them in a world that is not always safe, and doing it in such a way that they are able to enjoy taking advantage of life's experiences without fear. I need to raise them to ask intelligent questions and say NO to authority figures when those "in charge" have failed them, but to respect authority when it is there to protect them. I also need to ensure that they make good choices, keep their bodies healthy, eat right, exercise, and use their minds. I need to lay the foundation for these choices now, before they no longer listen to anything that Tom and I have to tell them. I need to teach them about the arts, music, various cultures, pop culture, Charity, and history. I have no idea how to do any of this.

What I DO know how to do is read articles, blogs and books authored by people, like me, who are struggling with the same issues, and discard most of it. I promise to share what I think is worth reading ......................

No comments: